Prep 30 mins
Cook 31 mins
- 3 lbs salmon fillets (about a 1/2 pound per person) or 3 lbs tuna fillets (about a 1/2 pound per person) or 3 lbs trout fillets (about a 1/2 pound per person)
- 2 fresh limes, juice may be substituted (4 tablespoons approximate)
- 2 fresh lemons, juice may be substituted (4 tablespoons approximate)
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, minced (about 3 teaspoons, comparable amount of garlic powder may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare grill and bring to 300°F.
- Soak five large hickory chunks in water (available in any good grocery store).
- In a microwave safe dish squeeze the juice from lemon and lime.
- Remove all seeds.
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of zest of each (the peel finely ground).
- Add all ingredients except fish.
- Microwave on half power for about 5 minutes stirring every 1 1/2 minutes until butter melts.
- Remove and stir well.
- Spray grills with Pam or use vegetable oil and coat well.
- Add hickory chunks to coals and wait 5 minutes.
- Coat fish fillets with microwave mixture well.
- Place filets skin side down on grills.
- Pour rest of mixture over fillets.
- Cook with grill covers down.
- Must allow to smoke not flare ups.
- Cook until fish flakes easily with fork.
- Usually about 20 minutes.