Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Comfort Food Alert(CFA). "Smashed" potatoes with the skins left on for more vitamins. Veggies add even more flavor. Goes well with any kind of gravy, especially good with Smothered Minute Steak. Enjoy!
Top Review by GaylaV
These potatoes are wonderfully smashing! I did have to peel my potatoes due to the season. It is just too hard to get good potatoes this time of year. I will be making this again in the summer and will not peel them! I added in some green onion for added colour. This will become a regular at our table. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, washed well,unpeeled and cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the a butter, then the celery and onions.
- Sauté until the vegetables are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and reserve.
- Add the potatoes and just enough cold water to cover.
- Bring the water to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are tender,.
- about 15 minutes, depending on size.
- Drain the potatoes and return the pan to medium heat.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables, 3 tablespoons of butter and milk.
- "Smash"(still has small lumps of potatoes) lightly with a masher or fork.
- Add more salt, pepper and taste for seasoning.
- Serve immediately or keep warm over low heat with the lid slightly opened.