- 6 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the water into a slow cooker, add the bouillon cube, and stir to dissolve.
- Combine the black-eyed peas, onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, ham, bacon, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper; stir to blend.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours until the beans are tender.