Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I found this recipe on the McCormick Spice website and it is absolutely unique and delicious, especially for a crockpot recipe. The flavors compliment each other so nicely, both sweet and savory - it is a definite keeper! Serve with crusty bread to sop up the extra juices and a nice, tossed salad on the side. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! PS - Don't be deterred by wrapping up the pickling spice in the cheesecloth - it literally takes less than a minute!
- 2 tablespoons mccormick whole mixed pickling spices
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, and or 3 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup about 6 ounces pitted dates, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- Place the pickling spice in the center of a piece of cheesecloth or a coffee filter.
- Tie tightly with a long piece of string.
- Add onion to 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Combine flour, garlic salt, and turmeric.
- Sprinkle over chicken.
- Add pickling spice bundle, broth, tomatoes, dates and almonds to slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH 4 hours, or on LOW 8 hours.
- Remove pickling spice bundle.
- Serve with couscous, if desired.
Easy and delicious. Followed the recipe. Next time will add some dried apricots.