Recipe by conniecooks
The ultimate comfort food. Serve with mashed potatoes to soak up the ambrosial sauce.
Top Review by The Normans
Tried this for Fall PAC 2011. Delicious! We may cook ours a little shorter though as the shanks were pretty much obliterated! As were the onions. Beautiful smells eminated throughout the house the entire day teasing us until we enjoyed the meal with mashed potato and veg. Thanks Connie :)
- 1814.36 g lamb shanks
- 59.14 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper, freshly cracked
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4.92 ml dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 14.79 ml mustard
- 354.88 ml Guinness stout or 354.88 ml other dark beer
- 118.29 ml beef broth, undiluted
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly coat shanks in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Reserve left over flour mixture.
- In a skillet heat oil.
- Add lamb in batches and cook until browned.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat and add onions, to pan, cook till softened.
- Add garlic,thyme, bay leaf and reserved flour cook 1-2 minutes stir in tomato paste, mustard, beer & broth.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low 10 -12 hours or on high 5 - 6 hours.