Recipe by Baz
A delicious, economical and healthy winter casserole. Use whatever vegetables you choose and serve on mashed potatoes.
Top Review by ponderyoga
Absolutely delicious! Even with the one change I made; I omitted the French onion mix because of the MSG. Their was still plenty of flavor and aromatic smell to it. The lamb was very tender and delicious, the meat nearly fell off the bone. Oh yes I made one other minor change; I used coconut oil instead of EVOO AND 4 cloves of garlic. I may at add some herb next time, rosemary and or time to add to it. Yes, there will definitely be a next time!
- 8 lamb chops, forequarter (or other cheap cut)
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- salt & pepper, for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced (optional)
- 250 g mushrooms, cut in chunks
- 250 g green beans, roughly chopped
- 3 -4 cups of chopped root vegetables (carrot, pumpkin, parsnip, turnip, sweet potato etc)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (40 g) packet French onion soup mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Put flour on a plate, season with pepper (and salt if you wish). Coat chops in flour, shake off excess and reserve flour for later use.
- Add oil to large heavy pan or wok and brown the chops in batches to seal them and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker/crock pot.
- Sauté bacon pieces, garlic and celery for 5 minutes over high heat then reduce heat to medium high, add the mushrooms and onions and sauté for for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes or so and then add to the slow cooker on top of the chops.
- Melt the butter in the same pan and add the reserved flour. Cook over fairly high heat, stirring occasionally until dark brown.
- Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce and stir until mixture boils.
- Add packet of French onion soup, mix in and then pour the mixture over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook for 7 hours or more and serve over mashed potatoes.