America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 -6 lb) boneless beef chuck roast, tied
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, chopped medium
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme (or 1 t. dried)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 / t. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1Dry the roast with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- 3Brown the roast on all sides, reducing the heat if the fat begins to smoke, about 10 minutes.
- 4Add the roast to the slow cooker.
- 5Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat until shimmering.
- 6Add the onions, carrots, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 7Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in the garlic and cook for 15 seconds.
- 9Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits.
- 10Simmer until the wine has reduced by half, about 1 minute, then pour the wine into the slow cooker.
- 11Add the tomatoes, broths, thyme, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes to the slow cooker.
- 12Cover and cook, on either LOW for 9-10 hours or HIGH for 6-7 hours, until the meat is tender.
- 13Transfer the roast to a carving board and tent loosely with foil.
- 14Let the cooking liquid settle for 5 minutes, then use a wide spoon to skim the fat off the surface.
- 15Discard the bay leaves.
- 16Puree the cooking liquid and vegetables in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth (or use an immersion blender right in the slow cooker).
- 17Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 18Untie the roast and slice 1/2-inch thick.
- 19Arrange the meat on a warmed serving platter and pour 1 cup of the sauce over the top.
- 20Serve, passing the remaining sauce separately.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Country-Style Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.2
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 422.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 63.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red pepper flakes