Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 hrs
With the Christmas holiday so close I didn't want to do a turkey so I thought I'd try something different. I love the taste of Cornish Hens and with the Mole sauce it was really tasty. I have a 7 quart slow cooker and it was just the right size for this dish. As per DH's request, I used a lot of coco powder in my mole sauce but you can use less.
- 4 lbs Cornish hens
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons nut butter (I used creamy sunflower seed butter)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 large garlic cloves (smashed and peeled)
- 2 chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce)
- salt and pepper
- Turn the crock pot on high.
- Puree the tomatoes, nut/seed butter and the tomato paste in a blender.
- Add it to the crock pot.
- Add all the other ingredients into the crock pot except the chicken. Whisk it all together.
- Remove the hens from their wrappers and wash them good. Pat dry. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add to the crop pot whole and cover with the mole sauce.
- Turn the crock pot down to low and cook for 6 hours.
- Remove the hens when cooked and let them sit for a few minutes.
- You will have a lot of mole sauce left. Save it and use it with other fowl.
- Serve with rice, corn tortillas and scallions if you wish.
- Bon Appetit!