Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe from Allrecipes where Christine Benjamin submitted it. I have tweaked it to my families taste and we adore it! Nothing better on a cold winter evening.
- 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups diced ham
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
- instant potato flakes
- In a slow cooker, place potatoes, onions, ham, celery, carrots, red pepper, whole kernel corn, butter, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add enough water to cover and the bouillon cubes.
- Cook on low setting for 8 to 9 hours and then stir in evaporated milk and cream corn.
- Cook for 30 minutes more.
- Add mashed potatoes flakes if you like a thicker chowder.
- Stir to blend well.
Very good - even my picky-eater of a hubby enjoyed this. I used fat-free evaporated milk in it, and no potatoe flakes, it turned out quite well.
Made this tonight with some leftover ham in the fridge. Really scrumptious flavor!! We did not have the mashed potato flakes to thicken so I ladled off some of the broth (maybe 2/3 cup or so) and whisked it with 3-4 tsp of corn starch and then stirred that in. Thickened it nicely.
Absolutely scrumptious!!! Thanks for the recipe!