1/1 Photo of Slow-Cooker Chicken Chasseur
Debbie R.'s Note:
From The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook., the same folks as Cook's Illustrated. I haven't tried it yet. The chicken pieces should still have both the bone in and the skin on.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices bacon, finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- 6 chicken breast halves (10-12 oz. each or 12 thighs at 6-8 oz. each)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed thoroughly and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced (or 1 t. dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Add bbacon to the crockpot. Reserve the bacon fat separately. You should have at least 2 T. If not, use vegetable oil for the missing fat.
- 2Dry chicken with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 t. bacon fat to the skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown half of the chicken on both sides, about 10 minutes. Put in the crockpot. (Remove the browned skin if using thighs.) Return the skillet to medium high heat and repeat with 2 more teaspoons of fat and the rest of the chicken. Discard any fat left in the skillet.
- 3Add the remaining 2 t. fat to empty skillet. Heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add cremini's, red onion and 1/4 teaspoons salt. Cook until mushroom are brown, 10-15 minutes. Stir in the garlic. Cook for 15 seconds. Stir in wine and tomato paste, scraping up any browned bits. Simmer until the wine has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Put in crockpot.
- 4Add tomatoes, 1.5 cups broth, porcini's, thyme, bay leaves and red pepper flakes to crockpot. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, about 4 hours.
- 5Transfer chicken to large serving dish. Tent loosely with foil.
- 6Discard bay leaves. Set the crockpot to high. Whisk flour with remaining 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Stir into crockpot. Cover and continue to cook until sauce is thickened and no longer tastes of flour, 15 to 30 minutes longer.
- 7Stir in parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon vegetables and some of the sauce over the chicken. Serve, passing the remaining sauce separately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooker Chicken Chasseur
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.7
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 66.9 mg
- Sodium 523.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 24.4 g