Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is adapted from Hensperger's Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. It's great to set this up to cook while you're doing other stuff around the house, and makes about 80 oz (10 cups). I set it to figure nutrition info based on a 1-oz (2 tbsp) serving. (And to peel peaches: use a paring knife to make a small X in the bottom of the peach; blanch in boiling water for about 1 minute; transfer to a bowl of ice water. The skin should slip right off.)
- 4 lbs peaches, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 (2 ounce) boxes dry pectin (or 1.75 oz boxes for a total of about 4 oz)
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 20 drops Angostura bitters
- Mix chopped peaches and lemon juice in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with pectin and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Mix in sugar, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Set slow-cooker to cook for about 2 1/2 hours on low; stir twice during the cooking.
- Remove slow-cooker lid and cook an additional 2-3 hours over high heat (until it reaches desired consistency.) Add Angostura bitters toward the end of the cooking.
- Pack into sterilized jars and process in a water-bath canner for 10 minutes (or more, depending on altitude.).