Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is my favorite way to prepare chili. I just tossed in what I had on hand and the result is delish! I love to stir in a tsp. of mayo instead of sour cream into my chili...soo yummy. I served this up with cream cheese & cheddar quesadillas.
- 5 slices turkey bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (use your favorite)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- sodium-free chicken flavor instant bouillon (1 packet)
- seasoning salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- chopped tomato
- sliced green onion
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown turkey bacon in a large skillet, add the next four ingrediants.
- Saute until veggies are soft. Add ground turkey and as much seasoning salt & pepper as you like and cook until no longer pink.
- Dump turkey mixture and the rest of the ingrediants except corn into a 6 quart crock pot and stir until all ingrediants are combined.
- Cook on low for 5 1/2 hours, turn heat to high add corn and cook for an additional 1/2 hour.
- Add your favorite toppings to your bowl & enjoy!
This was really good! I changed things, but only very slightly. I didn't have any green pepper so I omitted that. I didn't use a jalapeno and I reduced the amount of chili powder slightly because I wanted to keep this very mild for my toddlers. My husband and I could add spice at the table. I used 1 pound of ground chicken rather than 1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey, and I tossed the corn in with the rest of the ingredients rather than waiting til the end. Cooked about 7 hours on low - the result was delicious and everyone ate it happily! I'll definitely make this again.