Recipe by Janet W
Round steak turns into fork-tender pepper steak when allowed to simmer long and slowly in the gentle heat of a slow cooker
Top Review by Epimedium2
This is my go-to pepper steak recipe. My only alterations are to double the amt of ground ginger (or grate in some fresh ginger) and I use beef broth instead of water to add more beefy flavor. Depending on how much "sauce" is there, I sometimes increase the amt of beef broth (and corn starch if necessary) to get plenty of that great sauce to go over rice.
- 2 lbs top round steaks, trimmed (1 in. thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpeeled chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch wide strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- hot cooked noodles or rice
Directions See How It's Made
- CUT steak into 3 inch pieces:brown in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer steak to 4 qt slow cooker. Add tomatoes and pepper strips.
- COMBINE onion and next 6 ingredients; pour over mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH setting 7 hours.
- COMBINE cornstarch and water, stirring until smooth. Stir into mixture in slow cooker, cook uncovered on HIGH 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is thickended and bubbly.
- Serve over noodles or rice.