Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This makes a delicious gravy and the meat is so tender.
- 1 (3 lb) beef brisket
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Trim as much fat from the brisket as you can.
- Cut the brisket to fit into your slow cooker if necessary.
- Put the onion rings, bay leaf and brisket into the slow-cooker (in that order).
- In a mixing bowl, add the beer, chili sauce, brown sugar, thyme, salt and pepper, and garlic; stir to combine.
- Pour mixture over the brisket.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Carefully transfer brisket and onions to a platter; keep warm.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Skim the fat from the liquid left in the slow cooker.
- Measure 2 1/2 cups of cooking liquid and discard the rest.
- In a saucepan, add the cornstarch and water; stir until smooth.
- Add in cooking liquid; cook and stir until the gravy is thickened and bubbly; then cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Serve brisket and onions with gravy.