Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I acted on some of the comments of the brave souls in RSC#15 who tried this and changed the amount of onion soup from the original! Their input, I promise you, make it a better recipe. A blend of sweet and savory flavors transforms this inexpensive meat into an enticing meal that looks special even though it's made simple in a slow cooker. Use a low-sodium soup mix or ChefDee's Substitute for 1 Envelope Onion Soup Mix and sugar-free preserves for a healthier version.
- 12 chicken thighs (boneless, skinlesss)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves (or jam)
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- In a pan, heat oil and butter and place chicken thighs in it. Saute until lightly browned.
- Arrange chicken pieces in 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- Use the sherry to deglaze the pan, stirring until the volume is reduced by half.
- Mix remaining ingredients in the pan and pour over chicken. Stir to coat.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low for until chicken is thoroughly cooked and tender. In my hamilton Beach, it's about 4 hours, but cooking times vary so much in slow cookers, it's best to check.
- Optional: When the dish is almost ready, combine the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons liquid from the crock pot and mix until smooth. Add back to the crock pot; turn to high for 10-15 minutes until sauce is thickened.
I was delighted to see a crock pot recipe among the contest entries. I used leg quarters so cut apart & removed the skin before browning. The listed cooking time was far to long as the result was very dark . I wish I had checked them earlier. Maybe my crockpot cooks hotter? =( The meat was falling off the bone tender. The onion soup flavor dominated everything with the other flavors lost. I served them with brown rice pilaf to use the sauce. In order to use the leftovers I sautÃ©ed red & green pepper, onions, garlic, and boned the meat to serve in flour tortillas. We actually liked the chicken much more that way. Thank you for your contribution to RSC & good luck!
As i almost always do when a recipe calls for 'onion soup mix,' & used just half of the indicated amount & that worked for me in this one, as well! We really enjoyed the sauce that was created & I'll definitely be making this one again! [Made & reviewed in RSC #15 Contest]
Not sure if it was the brand of onion soup I used (Liptons) but it over powered any taste of the apricot. When I make this again I will use fresh onions and cut back on the sherry. After 3 hours in the crock pot my chicken was cooked perfectly so I turned it off and reheated just before dinner. The chicken was lovely & moist, fall off the bone tender. I definitely think that this recipe has excellent potential but for my taste buds needs some tweaking. I hope others give it glowing ratings Good luck in the contest