Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another tried and true recipe whose origin I can't remember. I really prefer the taste of these home-made joes to the canned sauce, and isn't much more work!
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 59.14 ml green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml yellow mustard
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml ketchup
- 59.14 ml barbecue sauce
- Add the green pepper, onion, and ground beef to a skillet. Cook over medium heat until all the beef is browned. Drain off the grease. Return the skillet to the stove.
- Mix in all of the rest of the ingredients and turn the heat down to low. Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve on hamburger buns - topped with a slice of cheese if you want!
I enjoyed these and will make them again. I will definately cut the brown sugar down to 1 1/2 T, and I agree with others that these need to be sloppier...especially if you will be keeping them warm in a crock pot.
The taste is perfect. It's not sweet as some sloppy joes I made. But I would have like that the meat holds together a bit more. Thanks Misa :) Made for all you can cook buffet
one of the best I have tasted so far and I have made many, I did use a whole onion and added in 4 large minced garlic cloves and for lots of heat added in 2 heaping tablespoons of crushed chili flakes, I omitted the garlic powder, this was chosen, made and enjoyed for KK's Chef's Pick forum event, thanks Misa!