Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my adaptation of my mom's yummy sloppy joe recipe. I like to toast the buns, as they hold together a little better when they are toasty. I usually make a double batch, which gives us enough for dinner with leftovers for lunch. Times are estimated. Tip: my DH loves to add a slice of cheddar cheese before placing the bun top on. They are pretty tasty that way!
- 4 (1 1/2 ounce) hamburger buns (the smallish ones, about 3 inch diameter)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- granulated garlic, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (to taste)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup (or more to taste)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 -4 teaspoons brown sugar (to taste)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef until no longer any pink; drain.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are transparent.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer until thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, split buns and spread with butter. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic and parmesan cheese. Place under broiler and broil until toasted golden brown. Set aside until sauce is done.
- Taste sauce and correct seasonings, if needed. Serve with toasted buns.
We really enjoyed your tasty recipe Halcyon Eve. It was sooo good, I won't be buying mixes ever again. It was so quick and easy to make with great results. The sloppy joes were very flavorful and satisfying. I made the sauce as written using a hot chili powder which gave it a lovely heat. I didn't use buns but opted for Bacon Scones, which worked beautifully with this dish. Thank you for sharing your recipe, that has gone into my keeper box. Made for Name that Ingredient Tag Game.
April 9, 2009: This recipe is what has made a sloppy joe lover out of me! loof suggested the recipe in the PAC thread while I was talking about making sloppy joes for DH & DS & how excited they'd be. I had everything easily on hand as well as a half of a red bell pepper to use up, so I threw that in too. I made 40 Minute Hamburger Buns to go with them & this dinner was inhaled! Thanks loof for recommending it & thanks Eve for sharing it! We'll be using it again & again. UPDATE: Eve, we first tried your recipe 2 years ago and we've tried a few in between, but we keep coming back to yours and my family has begun comparing all others to it! :) I finally wore out my original print out of the recipe and when I came to print a new one for DH's dinner pick last night, I realized I had never taken a photo before! So I did and just wanted to post it for you. :)
my daughter never really liked sloppy joes until I made them this way. Now, she loves them! I don't like mine sweet, so I left out the brown sugar completely. The ketchup made them sweet enough for us. This recipe is a KEEPER!!