Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I took a couple of the best rated Sloppy Joe recipe's here on Zaar and combined them and tweaked them to my families liking. My husband was very very pleased. The servings say 4-6, but I am also serving small children and one is enough for them as the bread fills them up too, so take that into consideration. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (less than 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 pinch garlic
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- bell pepper
- Brown hamburger with onions and peppers (if desired).
- Drain grease and add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- Simmer on low 10-15 min or till desired consistency.
- Serve on buns or on bread as an open face sandwich.
i was raised on homemade sloppy joes - never canned stuff! This is even better than my grandma's! Me and my boyfriend make all the time, the only thing we change is doing brown sugar instead of regular and dijon mustard instead of yellow. oh, and all these people saying it tastes like manwich are crazy! manwich sucks, this recipe is awesome.
I usually don't like Sloppy Joes. I came to the conclusion due to this website that I dont like Manwich or seasoning out of a packet. This is the second one I have tried off this website. I liked it but made one change, I added some vinegar. I needed too to off set the sweetness from the sugar. Next time I would definitely put in less sugar or none. My daughter asked for Sloppy Joes and I made a scrunch face, but this I would eat again.