Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
In '1,000 Vegan Recipes' by Robin Robertson
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup medium-grind bulgur
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard or 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 sandwich buns, halved horizontally
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the bulgur and lightly salt the water.
- Cover, remove from heat, and set aside until the bulgur softens and the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper; cover and cook until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, mustard, soy sauce, chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add bulgur to sauce mixture; stir to combine.
- Spoon the bulgur mixture onto the bottom half of each of the rolls, top with the other half, and serve.