In '1,000 Vegan Recipes' by Robin Robertson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup medium-grind bulgur
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard or 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 sandwich buns, halved horizontally
- 1In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- 2Stir in the bulgur and lightly salt the water.
- 3Cover, remove from heat, and set aside until the bulgur softens and the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 5Add the onion and bell pepper; cover and cook until soft, about 7 minutes.
- 6Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, mustard, soy sauce, chili powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- 7Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 8Add bulgur to sauce mixture; stir to combine.
- 9Spoon the bulgur mixture onto the bottom half of each of the rolls, top with the other half, and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sloppy Bulgur Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.4
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 573.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 10.9 g