1/1 Photo of Slivered Beef Stew
1 hr 45 mins
This is the recipe that I learned to make beef stew with, as a young cook. I have since modified it but I wanted to put the basics online for my daughters since I just wing it these days. I chose this one because it cooked relatively quickly (compared to my grandmother's recipe). This comes from the 1973 Good Housekeeping Cook Book, which was the cook book I used as a young bride.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs beef round steak, cut about 3/4-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups carrots, 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled, 1-inch chunks (may add more)
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced (originally called for 1 cup)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced (I omit, personal preference)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water (may use some beef broth in place of some of the water)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1Cut steak into strips about 3 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. On waxed paper, coat meat with flour; reserve remaining flour.
- 2In large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the shortening. Cook the meat in the shortening until well browned.
- 3Add carrots, onions, potatoes, celery, mushrooms (if using), bay leaf, & pepper, and 3 cups of water (or 1 can of beef broth and 1 cup of water). Heat to boiling.
- 4Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- 5In a cup, combine the remaining flour with 1 teaspoon salt, stir into stew and cook until thickened slightly; stirring constantly. Stir in sour cream and paprika; heat but do not boil.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slivered Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.3
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 19.9 mg
- Sodium 460.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef round steak