Recipe by ChaiGirl
This is a slightly lightened up version of a 30 minute meatloaf recipe. Great comfort food for a cold night.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or 1 lb turkey
- 1⁄3 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 cup skim milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine meat, breadcrumbs, 1/8 cup milk, egg, worcestershire, tomato paste, bell pepper, garlic and scallions. season with salt and pepper. Mix gently but do not overwork.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil.
- Shape meat into 4 patties and cook for 7 minutes on each side.
- Remove meatloaf patties and keep warm. reduce heat to medium and add butter, onions and red pepper flakes.
- Cook onions until soft and then sprinkle with flour. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock and 1/4 cup skim milk. Bring to a simmer. If too thick, add more chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice patties and serve with the gravy.