Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
EatingWell Sept/Oct 2011 - Serve on whole-wheat pasta or potatoes
Make and share this Skillet Moussaka recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (9 ounce) eggplants
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 cup tomato puree or 3⁄4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint or 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- Chop eggplant in half, then in slices. Using 1 T oil, lightly brush eggplant slices on both sides. Set aside.
- Heat 1-1/2 T oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add meat, 1t oregano, salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until no longer pink, 4-8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and garlic from the pan, draining well, and transfer to a medium bowl. Add tomato puree (or crushed tomatoes), water and 1/3 C yogurt to the meat mixture; stir to combine.
- Pour of any liquid in the pan and wipe the pan clean. Heat the remaining 1-1/2 T oil over medium heat. Add onion, remaining garlic, 1t oregano, and the eggplant; cook, stirring, until the eggplant has softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the meat mixture. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and eggplant are soft, 12-15 minutes. Sprinkle cheese and mint (or parsley) on top and stir to combine.