Recipe by Sue Lau
Simple and fresh, I think this makes for a nice late breakfast or weekend brunch. I would serve this with English muffins and fresh fruit. Adapted from a recipe from the Canada Egg Marketing Agency.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- 10 ounces fresh spinach leaves, cooked, chopped and well-drained
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, non-stick skillet, melt butter; sauté mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat until golden.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in milk and cook until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Stir in mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach. With back of a spoon, make 8 indentations in spinach mixture. Break one egg into each well. Cover and cook on medium-low for 6 to 8 minutes or until egg whites are set.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese while hot, then serve.