Got this recipe off another website and originally I made it on the campfire, but dont try it unless you are campfire cooking savvy cause it does get tricky. Best done on a grill and with a cast iron skillet. This is great for breakfast with cheesy eggs, hash browns and a big slab of grilled ham, or with a big bowl of cheesy potato soup for lunch or supper! Any leftovers make a great addition for stuffing too. I have also added any leftover corn to the batter for added flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1In a 10-inch nonstick, oven-proof skillet over medium heat, lay the bacon flat and cook until crispy, 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally.
- 2Drain the bacon on paper towels.
- 3Pour off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the skillet.
- 4In a large bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Finely chop the drained bacon and add it to the bowl along with the chives.
- 5Mix well.
- 6In another large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and sour cream.
- 7Whisk to break up the eggs.
- 8Pour the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture.
- 9Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- 10Pour the cornbread batter in the skillet with the bacon fat and spread it out evenly.
- 11Grill over Indirect Medium heat until golden brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes, rotating the pan occasionally for even cooking.
- 12Allow to cool completely in the skillet. Invert the cornbread onto a cutting board. Cut into wedges.
- 13Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Cornbread With Bacon and Chives
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.3
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 571.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 9.8 g