2000 Recipe Hall of Fame, Southern Living.
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 teaspoons bacon drippings or 2 -3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with bacon drippings; heat in a 450° oven for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Serve with butter.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made two batches of cornbread yesterday. One was not this recipe and turned out okay, but ran across this one and decided to try it. WOW! Turned out PERFECT and DELICIOUS!!! I doubled the recipe and made it with 4 cups of cornmeal. Threw away all my other recipes for cornbread. This one is IT from now on.
Easy and delicious! It's inspired a chili craving :) I made this with yellow corn meal, and instead of baking in a skillet for 25 minutes, I baked it in a paper-lined muffin tin for 15 minutes. Got 12 perfect cornmuffins (word to the wise: cornmuffins are very crumbly when you're removing the paper liners. Maybe next time I'll use a greased tin instead). I myself prefer sweetened cornbread and had never tasted anything else, but for something with no sweet to it, this is great!