1/1 Photo of Sizzling Vegetable Fajitas (Tgif Copycat)
This is a long time favorite in my house! I found this recipe in the newspaper years ago, and still make it from my now faded and wilted copy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced for pico de gallo sauce
- 1/4 cup diced tomato, for pico de gallo sauce
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced for pico de gallo sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, for pico de gallo sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped for pico de gallo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, for pico de gallo sauce
- 8 ounces chopped cilantro, for pesto
- 3 garlic cloves, for pesto
- 1/2 cup olive oil, for pesto
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, for pesto sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, for pesto sauce
- 2 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese, for pesto
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon margarine
- 2 cups of combination carrots or 2 cups zucchini or 2 cups summer squash, cut julienne-style
- broccoli or cauliflower, cut into small florets or green peppers or mushrooms, thinly sliced or snow peas
- 1/2 whole lemon, juice of
- flour tortilla, warmed
- lime wedge, for garnish
- pico de gallo, for condiment
- guacamole, for condiment
- sour cream, for condiment
- shredded cheddar cheese, for condiment
- salsa, for condiment
- 1To make pico de gallo sauce:
- 2Combine all ingredients specified for the sauce.
- 3Let sit for at least a half hour so flavors will blend. Set aside.
- 4To make pesto:.
- 5Put cilantro and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- 6With machine on, gradually add olive oil. Season and blend in cheese. Set aside.
- 7To make filling:.
- 8Slice enough onion to equal about 1/2 cup. Sauté with margarine in a small cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- 9Cook past translucent stage until browned, about six to eight minutes.
- 10Prepare about 2 cups of vegetables -- the combination depends on personal taste.
- 11Cook all vegetables except mushrooms in lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of pesto over medium to medium-high heat.
- 12When almost at al-dente stage, add sliced mushrooms.
- 13Continue cooking for about one minute.
- 14The remaining pesto can be refrigerated or frozen for future use.
- 15Place vegetable mixture over sizzling onions, then spoon vegetable-onion mixture into center of warmed tortillas.
- 16Top with condiments, to taste, then roll up tortillas.
- 17Three tortillas make one very generous portion.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sizzling Vegetable Fajitas (Tgif Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.5
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 349.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 3.9 g