Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chili Crab is the national dish of Singapore. When I was working there, I had the chance to eat this a lot. I got the recipe from an old Chinese Singaporean grandmother who taught me how to prepare the dish. It's so great, I want to share it with all of you. This is a must try.
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 live dungeness crabs (or mud crabs)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 red chile, seeded and minced
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- green onion, sliced 1 inch (garnish)
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a very large pot of boiling water, parboil the crab for 3 minutes. Take out of the water and drain. Rinse the crab with cold water and drain again.
- Pull off the top shell in one piece and reserve for additional garnish.
- Remove and discard the gills and the spongy parts under the shell.
- Twist off the claws and legs; crack them with a cleaver or a mallet. Now cut the body into 4 pieces.
- Now in a large heated wok, add oil and swirl to coat the sides of the wok. add the garlic, ginger, and chili, and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the crab, and stir fry an additional 2 minutes. Now add the sauce, reducing the heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring once or twice, till the crab is cooked (6-7 minutes).
- Finally stir in the egg and cook just until it begins to set (1 minute).
- Arrange the crab and top shell on a large platter. Pour the sauce all over the crab and garnish with the green onion.
- Serve right away with crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
Wonderful and easy to understand recipe! Crabs came out delicious on our first try.
Great recipe! Followed directions to a T and everything turned out perfect. Would make again!
Superb! 10 stars for this one! Ok, how about two 5's. DH loved it too!