1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs duck hindquarters, rinsed and dried,skin on (can use a whole duck cut into pieces or breasts)
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 4 ounces galangal, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- chili sauce (or use sambal oelek)
- 6 fresh hot red chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- green onion, garnish
- 1For Chili Sauce: Blend all ingredients in a blender or m& p, season to taste with sugar and salt and add a little water to dilute if necessary.
- 2The taste will vary considerably depending on the chiles.
- 3I use sambal oelek instead.
- 4Combine sugar and 1 T water in small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- 5Increase heat and boil without stirring until medium caramel colour.
- 6Remove from heat and carefully add 1 cup water (mixture will spit).
- 7Stir over heat until smooth.
- 8Transfer mixture to heavy pan large enough to hold duck (roasting pan is good), as close as possible to a single layer, add 5-spice powder, garlic, galangal, sugar syrup, soy sauces, star anise and cinnamon.
- 9Add enough water to come about half way up the duck pieces.
- 10Bring to simmer and skim any scum that comes to the surface.
- 11Braise duck on low simmer for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 12Remove duck from liquid and refrigerate.
- 13Defat the liquid (cooled overnight is best).
- 14Return sauce to heat and reduce until syrupy.
- 15Take all the skin off duck, reserve.
- 16(See note below).
- 17Take meat off the duck, chop into bite size pieces, add it to the reheated sauce, and serve the whole lot on a platter.
- 18Chili sauce is served alongside, with steamed rice.
- 19Notes: I salt the skin and broil them until crispy, chop them up and sprinkle over the platter with chopped green onions.
- 20Recipe works fine with breasts too.
- 21Leave the duck in the pot with the liquid while refrigerating overnight.
- 22Then defat.
- 23add duck meat to sauce while reducing (about halfway through).
- 24If you wait until syrupy, there is very little liquid left.
Browse Our Top Duck Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Singapore Teochew Duck
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 760.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: