1 hr 15 mins
Jessica Lynn Montgomerie's Note:
This is a simpler version of a popular dish, all done on top of the stove, which makes it a good side when the oven is already occupied. With the nuts and vegetables, it makes a nice lighter entree as well. It freezes and keeps well, so consider it a make-ahead option.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, diced (about one cup when diced)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (I like baby portabella)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped (I like red)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a large saucepan and add the wild rice. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, then add brown rice. Cover and cook for another 45 minutes, or until rice is done cooking.
- 2In a large skillet, sautee the onions and garlic until onions start to brown. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, celery, and spices and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes until the mushrooms are tender, adding more oil or a little bit of broth if needed. The celery and bell pepper will still be firm.
- 3If your almonds aren't already toasted, then toast them in a small, nonstick frying pan for a couple of minutes. You don't need any oil in a non-stick pan. Just watch them very carefully and shake the pan frequently so they don't burn. When they're light brown and smell good, they're done.
- 4Add the cooked rice, fresh parsley and almonds, and stir well to combine. Cook for another minute or two, until everything is just heated through.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Wild/Brown Rice Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.9
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: