Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has fooled several meat-eaters before. Veggie and omnivore alike will love!
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can red beans
- 1 (12 ounce) package veggie crumbles
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 dashes thyme
- 1 dash oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, on medium, medium-low until translucent. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for about a minute or so. Then add the bell pepper and cook for about 3 more minutes, or until slightly softened.
- Add both cans of crushed tomato and your stewed tomato. Stir mixture so ingredients are distributed evenly. Drain and rinse black and small red beans and add to pot and stir again, making sure all ingredients are distributed evenly.
- Now add all spices, adjusting amounts to taste. Stir well, then cover and let simmer. I recommend letting it simmer for about two hours if possible to bring out flavor. If you are short on time, one hour will do. Once it sits overnight it will taste just as good either way.
- About 3/4 into your chosen cooking time add the frozen corn and veggie crumbles and stir until distributed evenly. Let simmer for the remaining cooking time.
- Divide into bowls and serve by itself, over rice, with sour cream and shredded cheese, or grated parmesan cheese.