Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
What a tasty, quick soup, especially good with hot, gooey grilled cheese. I will never eat the canned stuff again. I found this recipe clipped from a magazine, I think Taste of Home, but I can't be sure.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (with basil, oregano and garlic)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 (48 ounce) carton chicken broth
- In a blender, process tomatoes with juices until pureed; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high-heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in broth.
- Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend.