Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My Mother In-law's Recipe three generations old. Serve with pasta, over stuffed peppers, over backed ziti or manicotti uses are limitless. I like to freeze mine in three cup plastic containers for use whenever I want it. One serving is 1/2 a cup of sauce you may use more or less as you desire. This is a low fat low calorie option depending on what you have going with it.
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
Optional to add
- 3 lbs mild Italian sausage (optional) or 3 lbs sweet Italian sausage links (optional)
- 2 lbs ground turkey (optional)
- Use one big pot-- I did not add the meatballs or sausage so that the calories etc. would not be counted.
- However, If you want to add Italian sausage and meatballs, then go to the bottom first.
- If you did the meatballs etc, then add the onions after you are done, if not add a little olive oil to the pan and add the onions.
- Cook on med-high till soft, add the garlic chopped up and cook for one minute, add the white wine to deglaze the pan and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the tomatoes crushing them up slightly with your hand to help break them up.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Take a boat motor blender and puree for about one minute till almost smooth.
- Add all the spices and bring to boil.
- Add one tomato can's worth of water and add back in the sausage and meatballs if you are doing them.
- Cook for two to three hours on low with the top of the pot partially on to let the sauce cook down (get rid of the water you added essentially).
- Serve with pasta, over stuffed peppers, over backed ziti or manicotti uses are limitless.
- I like to freeze mine in three cup plastic containers for use whenever I want it.
- One serving is half a cup of sauce you may use more or less as you desire.
- Meatballs and Sausage here goes:.
- Take Italian sausage and divide into one pound and two pounds.
- Take the casing off all of it, and shape the two pounds into one x two inch rolls.
- Take the one pound of Italian sausage and two pounds of ground turkey and add two eggs, 2 tbsp of milk, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese and mix well.
- Shape into Meatballs.
- Brown the sausage in a little olive oil, and then the meatballs.
- Do not cook all the way through!
- Set aside.
The only reason I'm not giving it five stars is that i didn't follow the recipe precisely. I added a chopped red bell pepper with the onion, and I only had two cans of tomatoes. I also used fresh parsley, and didn't have wine. But it was amazing! Highly recommended!