Recipe by Droopy Drawers, By Lucy Lastic
Bangers n Mash with a twist, this is real comfort food for me, perfect for a winters night dinner. This recipe also works well with a kilo of small lamb loin chops.
- 1 kg potato (any potatoes that you like, and are good for mashing will do fine)
- 40 g butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 750 g beef chipolata sausages (I sometimes use regular sized BBQ sausages,)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (try to use a plain type of bbq sauce, or the taste may overpower)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (35 g) package French onion soup mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 200c.
- Boil potatoes until soft, drain then add the butter and milk ( i always heat the milk first). Mash until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. (If using regular sized sauaages, once they are brown cut them into bite size pieces).
- Whisk ketchup, bbq sauce, worcestershire sauce, soup mix, flour and water together in a jug. Making sure there's no lumps of flour.
- Stir into sausages, and then bring to the boil.
- Spoon mixture into a two litre casserole dish. Top with potato. Then sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until cheese is golden.