Recipe by Gaelige Coinnaigh
Simple, but effective hunger stopper... This elegant dish has graced the tables of family reunions, picnics, barbeques, and everywhere else imaginable...
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1⁄4 white or yellow onion (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces sweet relish
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes until they are done but not overcooked. I use the test here where I stick the fork in and it meets a little resistance but not too much. How long you boil them depends upon how big they are. You do want the potatoes done though since no further cooking is involved. If you overcook them, they don't really hurt the recipe since the extra potatoes just mixes in with the creamy portion of the mixture.
- Boil the eggs over medium high heat until hard-boiled. Allow the potatoes and eggs to cool. You can run cold water over them in a strainer to speed up the process.
- Peel the potatoes and then slice into chunks. If you aim for 1 inch by 1-inch chunk you will do well.
- Peel and slice the egg into ½ inch pieces.
- Chop the onion into very small pieces. I made this optional because you WILL be able to smell the onion on your breath. Therefore, if a little close contact is planned anytime soon you probably want to leave the onion out.
- Stir all ingredients gently except for the paprika.
- After ingredients are well mixed, pour into a bowl. Add the paprika across the top. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.