Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 hrs
A Shadows simple original soup made with counrty ham bone leftover from a 13 pound Smithsfield country cured ham.
- 1 ham bone, leftover from 13 lb country ham
- 12 quarts water
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 2 cups pinto beans, washed and picked over
- water, to cover beans
- Place ham bone in a 12 quart soup pan.
- Add the water, bay leaves, celery seed, mustard seed, and chopped onion.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for about an hour, lower heat to a simmer.
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Cover and continue to simmer for an addition 17 hours.
- Skim any skum from top as simmering progresses.
- Meanwhile place pinto beans in a large pan and cover with water .
- Soak beans over night or at least 8 hours.
- Remove lid from ham broth.
- Add beans and enough water to bring back up to starting volume of liquid.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
The recipe has to be wrong...plain wrong! First it calls for 12 quarts of water and a 12 quart soup pan and only 2 cups of pinto beans. Then it called for 2 tbsp of red pepper plates. I made it in a 6 qt pan which is about as big as a normal kitchen has. It ended up with way too much liquid and way too spicy. Most likely it really meant 12 cups of water and 1 tsp red pepper flakes.