Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not a fully authentic version but quick and ideal for using up leftover rice. For a more filling dish add some cubes of tofu and stir fry in the onion paste.
- 300 g long grain rice
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 4 spring onions, shredded
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Place in a pan with 600ml water and bring to the boil. Cover and cook on a very low heat for 15 mins, all the water should have been absorbed. Spread out the rice in a shallow dish and allow to cool.
- Heat a wok and beat the eggs. Scramble the eggs, remove and set aside.
- Place the garlic, half the chilli and half the onion in a blender and process to a coarse paste. Heat the ground nut oil and fry the paste for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining onion and chilli, pepper and carrots. Stir fry for 2 minutes Add the cold rice and fry for a further 3 mins until the grains are separated and all the ingredients mixed well.
- Add soy, spring onions and egg and fry for a further 3 mins so all is combined and the rice is hot.
- Serve as is or garnished with coriander.