Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Customizable, yet simple. Everyone I've served this to has loved it; it's easy, unique, and cheap company fare. My version is low-fat and free of wheat and gluten. I cannot tolerate spicy food at all, so if you want it hot, add more cumin and some chili powder. If desired, add sauteed, chopped onions or bell peppers. You can grate any desired cheese on top if you want.
- 1 cup cornmeal (medium grind if possible)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup broth (or 1 tsp bouillon and 1 cup cold water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes ("fire roasted" taste best)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 dash cumin
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash paprika
- Polenta: boil water, then stir 1 cup cornmeal into 1 cup (cold) broth.
- Add boiling water and salt, and bring to a boil. [Start cooking chili while waiting for it to boil.].
- Once it boils, lower heat and cover. Stir occasionally and cook for about ten minutes, until thick (starts clinging to the sides of the pan). Remove from heat and stir in parmesan. Serve warm.
- For chili: Brown turkey in a medium-large saucepan. If adding onions or peppers, can cook them at the same time.
- Add tomatoes (undrained), black and pinto beans, and desired seasonings. Start with a small amount of seasoning and add gradually to avoid "Oh no! It's too spicy!" for you wimps like me. :).
- Bring to a simmer and ladle polenta into bowls. Spoon chili on top; add grated cheese if desired.
Excellent and quick. I added an onion and 1tsp. each chili powder and cumin. Try it without meat too!