Recipe by rainboconfection
A very simple baked rice custard with numerous variations. All ingredients are found in the average pantry and frig. Great for a dessert, side dish or even breakfast.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice (grain length unimportant)
- 6 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar or 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned or 1 cup coconut coffee creamer
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup toasted coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: Coconut coffee creamer can be found in refrigerator case of most groceries.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place pan with 1 inch hot water on bottom oven rack.
- Spread RICE in bottom of lightly oiled 9x13 baking pan. In lg bowl, whisk EGGS, whisk in, one ingredient at a time; SUGAR, COCONUT MILK OR CREAMER, MILK and VANILLA. blend thoroughly. Stir in flaked COCONUT and slowly pour over rice.
- Place in preheated oven that has BAKING PAN with 1 inch HOT WATER on bottom shelf of oven and bake 45 -60 minutes. Test for doneness with knife blade. Cooking time varies depending upon fat content in milk.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack.
- Sprinkle with ** TOASTED COCONUT or sprinkle with coating of brown sugar then untoasted coconut and place under broiler JUST UNTIL COCONUT IS TOASTED. WATCH CLOSELY AS COCONUT BURNS QUICKLY.
- SERVE warm or cold with or without cream or whipped topping. MAMA SERVED WITH CREAM.
- 1. BROWN SUGAR SWEETENED CUSTARD. Replace sugar with brown sugar and omit the coconut. Use 4 cups of milk omitting the coconut milk. May sprinkle rice with raisins before adding milk mixture.
- 2. BASIC RICE PUDDING.
- Just use 4 cups milk instead of coconut and regular milk. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg =LIGHTLY.
- 3.RICE AND RAISIN CUSTARD.
- Omit coconut, replace milk as stated above, sprinkle enough raising onto rice to cover well BEFORE intoducing the milk mixture. Sprinkle the top lightly with cinnamon.
- 4. SUGAR FREE CUSTARD.
- FOLLOW ANY RECIPE ABOVE substituting equivilant of 1/2C of sugar - plus 1/4C milk.
- 5. FRUITED RICE CUSTARD.
- FOLLOW ANY RECIPE ABOVE SUBSTITUTING for RAISINS OR COCONUT, with well drained, finely chopped canned fruit. Sprinkle top with seasoning your family loves.
- THIS IS A LO=FAT, LO SUGAR RECIPE THAT INCLUDES SEVERAL FOOD GROUPS SO MAKES A SUPER BREAKFAST.
- MAY GOD WATCH OVER YOU.