Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Printed in my ice cream maker manual. Posting the recipe here because I needed easier access to it. If desired, use vanilla pod if you like those little black specks in your ice cream. I use vanilla pod for extra special occasions only-it being very expensive.
- 4 egg yolks
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml half-and-half (or whole milk)
- 29.58 ml butter
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until blended.
- Pour the mixture into a double boiler. (Or use a heatproof bowl place over a pan of simmering water.).
- Over low heat, pour the half and half into the pan; stir until it starts to thicken. Take off heat and stir in the butter.
- While cooling, stir the mixture occasionally until it is to room temperature.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Place in a container with a lid and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to your owner's manual.
- Preparation time does not include chilling, freezing or churning.