Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A common nimono, or simmered dish, served in Japan. From sushiandtofu.com.
Make and share this Simmered Daikon (Furofuki Daikon) recipe from Food.com.
- Cut daikon into 1 1/2 inch thick rounds. Peel. Bevel edges of each slice to prevent the edges of the daikon from breaking up while cooking. Cut a shallow cross into one side of each slice to facilitate cooking.
- In a saucepan, arrange each slice cross-cut side down. Cover with rice water and cook until tender; drain.
- Combine simmering sauce ingredients.
- Place cooked daikon on top of the kombu in a saucepan. Pour simmering sauce over and bring just to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Arrange daikon slices in 4 warmed dishes. Discard konbu. Pour remaining cooking liquid over daikon and serve.