Recipe by coconutty
Simca is Simone Beck, a French cookbook author. This is adapted from "The Book of Jewish Food" and "Simca's Cuisine."
For the cake
- 1⁄2 lb bittersweet chocolate
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- matzo cake meal (for cake pan)
For the glaze
- 1⁄2 cup blanched slivered almond
- 3 1⁄2 ounces sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350. Melt chocolate and margarine together in double boiler or small pan placed in larger pan with boiling water. Beat egg yolks with sugar till pale. Add almonds and melted chocolate mixture; mix very well. In separate bowl, beat egg whites stiff, then fold them inches Grease a nonstick 9-inch cake pan and dust with matzo cake meal. Pour mixture in pan, bake 45 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze:.
- In a preheated 350° oven, spread almonds on small baking sheet and toast for 7 minutes, until fragrant. In small saucepan, melt chocolate in coffee over low heat, stirring, just until smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir in margarine until melted.
- Invert cooled cake onto a serving plate. Using a metal spatula, spread chocolate glaze evenly over top and sides of cake. Arrange toasted nuts in a ring around top of cake, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set glaze.