From the famous Silver Palate caterers. Great one-dish party fare. Serve with crusty bread and a hearty red wine. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead and refrigerated. Just reheat before serving.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lb onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 3/4 lb green bell pepper, coarsely choppd
- 3/4 lb red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3-1/2 lb green jalapeno, seeded and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 3 (36 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 lbs fresh Italian plum tomatoes, quartered
- grated monterey jack cheese or grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- sliced green onion
- 1Combine sausages and water in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Cook until sausages are brown, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Transfer sausages to paper towels and drain.
- 2Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven over low heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- 3Increase heat to medium. Add ground chuck and cook until well browned, mashing with fork and stirring frequently.
- 4Add sausage, bell peppers and chilies. Cook until peppers are wilted, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- 5Mix in canned tomatoes, wine and tomato paste. Stir in herbs and spices. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 6Add fresh tomatoes and cook 10 minutes. Tip pan and degrease.
- 7Spoon into bowls.
- 8Pass cheeses, sour cream, and onions separately.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Silver Palate Jalapeno Chili
Serving Size: 1 (757 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 792.2
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 127.6 mg
- Sodium 2115.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 47.4 g