Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Scharffen Berger website, this Sicilian gelato contains simply milk, yet it's still completely AMAZING. Add mint leaves to the 2 cups milk for a mint chocolate gelato. I didn't even use what is probably considered "quality" cocoa and this still tastes so great.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In medium saucepan bring 2 cups of the milk to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining cup of milk with the sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch.
- Scrape the cocoa mixture into the hot milk. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and bubbles a little at the edges.
- Stir and cook for a minute longer.
- Strain through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a clean bowl and cool.
- Cover the surface of the mixture with plastic wrap and chill overnight. (You may also set the bowl over an ice bath and stir the hot gelato mixture frequently until cool).
- TO MAKE GELATO: Freeze according to the instructions with your ice cream maker. The mixture is thick to begin with and may take less time than average in the ice cream maker. Makes one scant quart ice cream.
- TO MAKE FUDGE POPS: Divide the chilled gelato base between the ice pop molds and place in the freezer overnight to set. These will have a slightly icy texture. (If you have an ice cream maker and would like a finer-textured fudge pop, freeze the gelato base according to the instructions with your ice cream maker and divide the mixture evenly between ice pop molds. Place in the freezer overnight to set.).
- TO MAKE GRANITA: Pour the chilled gelato base into a large, shallow baking dish (the shallower the dish, the faster the mixture will freeze) and place in the freezer. In about an hour, the liquid will begin to freeze along the sides of the pan. Using a fork, scrape the ice towards the center of the pan. Repeat this process every 20 minutes or so until all of the mixture is frozen and flaked.
Oh so good. Made this into pops and was great. Got 10 with a little left yet to make.
MMMmmmm! Great rich chocolate flavor and lower in fat due to no cream!! This is definitely a keeper.
WOW! This is amazing, perfect for summer! (and no heavy cream!)