Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A different take on Waldorf Salad
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and devined (31-40 per lb)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh, more to taste
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, fresh, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 2 cups apples, diced (preferably Fuji)
- 2 cups red grapes, seedless and halved
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, diced
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon chives, thinly sliced
- 12 butter lettuce leaves
- Put the shrimp in a steamer basket over simmering water and steam until just cooked through, about 3 minutes (the centre should still be slightly translucent). Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, tarragon and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the shrimp into pieces and mix in a large bowl with the apples, grapes, celery, and almonds. Toss with enough of the dressing to coat the ingredients well.
- Taste and add more salt, pepper or lemon juice as needed.
- Sprinkle the salad on beds of lettuce leaves . Serve.