1/1 Photo of Shrimp Scampi (My Way)
This is a recipe (method) my grandpa taught me many years ago. The good sauce could also be used for steaming clams or mussels, too. Then pour all over pasta, serve with a good garlic bread and salad and your sure to be in some sort of bliss. I hope you try and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled & deveined (or 2 dz clams or mussels see note if using these instead)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (3-4 cloves)
- 3/4 cup small diced onion
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 8 ounces pasta (your choice)
- pasta water (1-2 ladles)
- 1Start pasta water.
- 2In a large sauté pan melt butter & olive oil (low - medium heat).
- 3Start by adding the onions when they have some color (5 minutes or so).
- 4By this time the water should be almost ready.
- 5Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the onion, sauté for about a minute or 2. Stir not to burn. (burnt garlic YUCK must start over if you do this).
- 6Add pasta to the water and salt as you would.
- 7To the sauté pan add shrimp(if using clams and mussels you need to hold tight for a few).
- 8Cook the shrimp for about 3 minutes.
- 9Flip the shrimp.
- 10Keep an eye on the pasta cook till a'dente (don't forget to save some water).
- 11Add the lemon rind, juice and wine.
- 12Cook about 4 more minutes or until done.
- 13Add pasta water to thin sauce to how thin you like.
- 14Dump drained pasta in a big bowl (this is for the shrimp and the clams or mussels).
- 15When the shrimp is done, dump all over the pasta.
- 16Serve YUMMMY.
- 17O.K. now if you are using the clams and mussels don't add the shrimp. Just skip the whole shrimp thing. After the garlic softens add the lemon rind and lemon juice and wine and pasta water, bring to a boil. Add the clams and or mussels, cover and steam till they open. Throw any unopened ones. Dump all over pasta.
- 192 for the price of 1 not bad, LOL.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Scampi (My Way)
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1354.4
- Calories from Fat 416
- Total Fat 46.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 752.2 mg
- Sodium 851.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 109.0 g