Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From an old Dallas Cowboy Wives cookbook, this is wonderful served over hot cooked rice.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 14.79 ml salt
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- 4 medium zucchini
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 1.23 ml oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 453.59 g raw peeled and deveined shrimp
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch thick slices, then into chunks. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt and let stand 30 minutes. Dry thoroughly.
- Peel and slice onions. Core both peppers and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Peel the tomatoes and cut into coarse cubes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add eggplant and brown lightly on both sides, about 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Stir often to baste vegetables with liquid while cooking.
- Add shrimp and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaf. Serve over hot cooked rice.
I've been a ratatouille fan since living in England decades ago.. It was my go-to off the pub menu.. Of course there it had lamb as the protein...The prep in this is the only time consuming element.. Like a lot of us.. I'm trying to be a smarter eater thru the winter.. I cook this sort of thing in my cast iron wok that additionally has a lid.. If you minimize the amount of oil you use.. there's not much else that's "bad" for you...I chopped my shrimp to spread it further.. and ate it with a spoonful of cottage cheese. Great way of using up your vegetable bin as well! Thanks loof!!
Wow, we really loved the flavor of this dish. I used two Chinese eggplants and a bit less of the other veggies. I served it over a bed of quinoa and will definitely make it again!
I really enjoyed this dinner - thanks for posting. I used what I had on hand - 2.5 japanese eggplant, one zucchini, onion, garlic, mixed fresh tomatoes, fresh corn cut off the cob, red and green pepper, fresh herbs (lemon basil oregano thyme) and it was great. We served it over a bed of Quinoa. What a healthful dinner?! Thanks so much!