Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: These crispy, creamy potato cakes have a hint of spice and smoke from adobo sauce. You can make them larger and serve with a side salad for a light lunch or dinner.
- 3 cups Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes (one container)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers)
- salt and pepper
- 24 shrimp, tail-on
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup peanut oil (for frying)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the 3 cups of Simply Potatoes Traditional Mashed Potatoes with next six ingredients through adobo sauce. Season with salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Form potato mixture into small patties, 3 inches in diameter, and dredge in panko crumbs. Pour enough oil in a large skillet to cover the bottom of the pan. Fry cakes in batches over medium high heat, flipping once, until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Wipe out skillet and lightly oil. Saute shrimp on medium heat until opaque, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Combine sour cream with lime juice.
- To assemble appetizer, place a dollop of lime-flavored sour cream on top of each potato cake, place one tail-on shrimp on top of sour cream so the tail points up, sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.