Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This can also be made used using cubed chicken breast or lobster. Serve this creamy sauce over cooked pasta, this complete recipe may be doubled.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (or to taste, rubbed between fingers to release flavors)
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb uncooked fresh medium shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- hot sauce (optional, or use cayenne pepper)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan; add in onions, garlic and dried thyme and saute for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and cook until until they release their moisture.
- Add in shrimp and cook until the shrimp is no longer pink; remove only the shrimp to a bowl (leave the onion/mushroom mixture in the saucepan).
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add in flour; whisk for 1 minute (you might need to add in a couple tablespoons more butter).
- Slowly add in broth, wine (if using) and whipping cream; cook over medium-low heat stirring or whisking constantly until bubbly and thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Season with seasoned salt or white salt, black pepper and hot sauce or cayenne (if using) to taste.
- Add the shrimp back into the sauce and then mix in the Parmesan cheese; simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
I made this for myself tonight, cutting the recipe in half. It was totally deliciious, and I still have enough for lunch tomorrow. I made it with the wine which added a delicate flavor and served it on whole wheat linguine. I substituted non-fat half and half for the whipping cream which cut down on fat and calories. Still delicious. Hats off to the chef!
Excellent recipe!!! As good as a really good restaurant recipe!!
Made this for my sweetie and me for valentines day. Rich and Delicious.