Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious, simple to make, soup. Adapted from 'Hot Sour Salty Sweet' by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed,smashed flat and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (fresh or frozen)
- 3 Thai chiles, stemmed and cut lengthwise in half
- 1⁄4 lb oyster mushroom, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp or 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce, to taste
- Over medium heat, bring the broth and lemongrass to a boil in a medium pot; add the lime leaves and chiles, bring it back to a boil and let cook, gently, for 5 minutes; add the mushrooms, return to a vigorous boil and add the shrimp.
- Cook for 1 minute, or until the shrimp have turned pink.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lime juice and fish sauce; taste and adjust flavor with fish sauce or salt if needed.
- Serve in small bowls.
the thai name of this dish is tom yum gai. I like to serve it with fresh chopped tomatoes and cillantro added to each bowl just before serving.