Recipe by MarraMamba
A terrific Mario Batali recipe. Love it.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
very tasty with lots of spice, I replaced the water with chicken broth and reduced the wine amount to 1-1/2 cups, I added in lots freshly grated black pepper and allowed it to simmer for about 45 minutes to reduce the wine, I loved this shrimp dish, I served it on cooked pasta and it was thoroughly enjoyed by my family, thanks for sharing hon!
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped into 1/2-in/1-cm dice
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh hot chili peppers
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped into 1/2-in/1-cm dice, fronds reserved
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed by hand, with juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup water, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled, head and tail on Freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 6-qt soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat until smoking. Add the onion, garlic, chilies and diced fennel and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, wine and water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until they are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. To serve, pour into a soup tureen and garnish with the fennel fronds.